Continue your education by the lake 


Melanie N. Sage '95, P'25, P'27
Senior Associate Director of Admissions, Director of Transfer Admissions 

Hobart and William Smith is an ideal location to continue your education. Our small classes and close-knit community will make you feel at home as you connect with our supportive faculty and staff. An experiential approach to learning will take you out of the classroom and into the field through trips, internships and research. Opportunities to study abroad will provide you with chances to develop your global citizenry while Seneca Lake will serve as your backdrop.

With the closing of Wells College following the 2023-2024 academic year, Hobart and William Smith have partnered with Wells in a teach-out agreement that makes it easy for Wells students to complete their education at HWS. At HWS, you will be supported academically and financially to ensure a smooth transition, including retaining the same net cost of tuition and fees you have at Wells. This cost will remain constant for the remainder of your attendance at HWS as long as you remain a student in good standing and graduate on time. Hobart and William Smith are committed to providing an exceptional experience for Wells transfer students.  

Come Meet Us By The Lake

Visiting campus is one of the best ways to decide if HWS is the right fit for the rest of your college years. Enjoy the view of Seneca Lake while getting to know the vibrant community that lives on its shore.

The Office of Admissions offers tours and information sessions Monday – Saturday as well as special events throughout the year.

Can't make it to campus? Our virtual tour is available 24/7, as are our photo galleries.

Frequently Asked Questions


Senior Director of Admissions Mel Sage ’95, P’25, P’27 and Associate Provost Susan Pliner share helpful information.

will i be considered a transfer student?

Yes. All Wells students partaking in the program will be considered transfer students and have the same opportunities as all HWS students.

What services and support Will Be Provided?

Wells transfer students will have full access to our relationship-rich academic, administrative and student support services including academic advising and enrichment, mentorship from the Deans, student housing, health and wellness services, financial aid and disability services.

Do I need to Apply to HWS?

Yes. All transfer students are required to submit the Common Application but that is all. Transcripts will be supplied by Wells. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and priority will be given to students who apply by July 1, 2024. There is no cost to apply.

Does HWS have my major?

Programs that have been determined as comparable between HWS and Wells are:

Wells Major HWS Major
Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (BS); Biological & Chemical Sciences (BA)  Biochemistry (BS)

Biology (BA, BS)

Biology (BA, BS)
Business (BS) Management & Entrepreneurship (BA)
Chemistry (BA, BS) Chemistry (BA, BS) 
Computer Science (BA, BS) Computer Science (BS)
Education: Adolescent Education

Major in area of certification (BA/BS). Teacher Education Program leading to certification in content are grades 7-12.  Areas of certification include:  Biology, Chemistry, English, Earth Science, French, Mathematics, Physics, Social Studies, Spanish.

Education: Inclusive Childhood (BS)

Individual Studies Major (BA). Teacher Education Program leading to certification in Childhood Education and Students with Disabilities Education (gr. 1-6).

English (BA)

English and Creative Writing (BA); Writing and Rhetoric (BA) 

Environmental Science (BA)  Environmental Studies (BA); Geoscience (BA, BS)
History (BA) History (BA)
Individualized Major (BA)  Individual Major (BA, BS)
Mathematics (BA)  Mathematics (BA, BS)
Physics (BA, BS)  Physics (BA, BS) 
Political Science (BA) Politics (BA); International Relations (BA) 
Psychology (BA)  Psychological Science (BA, BS) 
Sociology and Anthropology (BA)  Anthropology and Sociology (BA); Anthropology (BA); Sociology (BA)
Theatre (BA)  Theatre (BA)
Visual Arts (BA)  Studio Art (BA)
Women's, Transgender and Queer Studies (BA)  Gender, Sexuality, and Intersectional Justice (BA)


Like Wells, Hobart and William Smith also offers the option for students to create an individual major when a student’s focus of study lies outside an established department or program-based major, and/or combines multiple disciplines.

can you only transfer to hws if you have a comparable major?

While you are welcome to continue your path of study at Hobart and William Smith, you also have the freedom to participate in any of our 70+ academic programs or you can design your own major. We encourage students with all academic interests to transfer to HWS.

Will i be able to graduate on time?

Depending on your course of study, you should be able to graduate on time without a problem. Our faculty and staff will work with you to account for the credits you have earned at Wells and chart an efficient path to graduation at HWS.

Will the courses I’ve taken at Wells transfer into HWS and which ones will count toward my major or minor?

All Wells courses will transfer to HWS with most courses satisfying HWS program requirements. You can check your Wells courses against HWS’ program requirements by visiting HWS’ Transfer Evaluation System. The list is being updated in real time so more courses will be added. To determine how much of a major or minor you have completed through courses at Wells, check the HWS audit forms. We are here to help you through this process and make it as seamless as possible. If you have any questions or don’t see a course you’ve taken at Wells in the Transfer Evaluation System, please reach out to HWS Registrar Jeffrey Kinnamon at or at (315) 781-4393. 

Will i be required to take a first-year seminar?

No. Transfer students are not required to take a First-Year Seminar.

Can I keep my Wells roommate?

Yes. We will accommodate roommate requests from all Wells transfer students. Transfer students who do not request a roommate will be paired with another student in upperclass housing.

will Wells students share a common residence hall?

Pending the interest of Wells transfer students, we will accommodate requests to be housed in a residence hall with all other Wells transfer students. 

Will I live on campus?

HWS guarantees housing for every Wells transfer student. We strongly encourage students to engage in our residential community. If you did not live on campus at Wells, you are not required to do so at HWS.

Will i be able to join greek life, participate in clubs and organizations, hold leadership positions or work on campus?

Yes. Wells transfer students will have the exact same co-curricular opportunities as all other HWS students. Learn more about life at HWS.

Will there be an orientation?

Yes. New student orientation is scheduled for Aug. 22, 2024. All transfer students are expected to participate. A special gathering for Wells students will take place shortly after. 

how much will it cost to attend hws?

Domestic students who submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) are guaranteed a cost of attendance at HWS equal to or lower than what they would have paid at Wells. This cost of attendance guarantee will remain in effect for the remainder of the student’s attendance at HWS, subject to normal, annual tuition increases, as long as they remain a student in good standing and graduate on time.

I am an international student at wells, can i continue my education at hws at the same cost?  

Yes, International Students are also guaranteed a cost of attendance equal to what they would have paid at Wells. International Students from Wells will not be required to complete the CSS Profile. 

i am an international student, is there someone i can speak to who can advise me on transferring my student visa?

Yes, please feel free to contact Marylyn O’Hora Uhnak, Associate Vice President of Admissions, at or +1-315-781-3750.

Can I aPply for Financial Aid?

Yes. As per the teach-out agreement, every Wells student seeking a consistent cost of attendance will be required to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If our Office of Financial Aid determines you are eligible for additional scholarships, grants, loans or work-study, the additional awards will be automatically offered.  

will i be able to play a sport?

HWS offers 30 varsity athletic programs, as well as intramural and club sports. Students interested in competing at the varsity level should reach out directly to the head coach of the program for more information. Coach contact information can be found here.

Am I eligible for the guaranteed internship program?

Yes. Transfer students are afforded the same opportunities as all HWS students. Learn more about the Pathways Program, our Internship Guarantee and the HWS Career Network. 

Can I Study Abroad?

Absolutely. Transfer students regularly take advantage of off-campus opportunities. Learn more about our study abroad offerings.