Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion fosters dignity and respect ensuring that all members of the HWS community have an equal opportunity to thrive.
Within the DEI Office are programs, centers and initiatives designed to build belonging including:
- First Generation Initiative
- LBGTQ+ Resource Center
- Alger Adams '32 Intercultural Center
- International Student Success
- Opportunity Programs
- Title IX
At Hobart and William Smith Colleges, we strive to create a just and inclusive environment where all students, faculty and staff are valued and respected. We believe that diversity in identity and perspective enriches our community and prepares us all to lead lives of consequence. We recognize that historical practices and policies have privileged certain groups while excluding others from institutions of higher education, and thus the work of diversity at HWS seeks to account for those inequities by promoting college access and working to ensure that every member of the HWS community has an equal opportunity to thrive.
What We Do
The Office Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) works with partners across campus to build an educational, residential and professional environment where all community members feel valued and respected. We envision a community where diversity is embraced and consistently sought, and where equity and inclusion are practiced. By focusing on the following key areas: recruitment and retention, campus climate, and education, the Office strives to both enhance the representation of diverse individuals on campus and cultivate a sense of belonging for all.
- Recruitment and Retention: DEI works to increase the recruitment of historically underrepresented students, faculty and staff on campus and offers programs and initiatives to ensure their success.
- Campus Climate: DEI cultivates an environment where all students, faculty and staff feel respected and have a sense of belonging. DEI uses various mechanisms to assess the campus climate and develop necessary interventions to respond.
- Education: DEI collaborates with various offices to ensure that institution wide opportunities for diversity education and cultural competency are available and accessed by students, faculty and staff.
Belonging-Diversity-&-EquityWith Genuine Welcome and Deep Care, Newly Dedicated Adams Intercultural Center Opens
The HWS community gathered for a ribbon-cutting to celebrate the opening of the newly renovated and expanded Adams Intercultural Center.
AlumsScholarship Day of Donors Launches May 2
Introducing Scholarship Day of Donors, a 24-hour fundraising challenge taking place on May 2-3. A generous matching gift from John Manley ’64, P’93 will double the impact of your gift.
AlumsMulticultural Networking Conference 2023
An exciting lineup of alums are returning to campus to participate in the Multicultural Networking Conference on Saturday, April 22.