There are two types of entry visa issued to nonimmigrant students who intend to study full-time at Hobart and William Smith Colleges—the F-1 student visa and the J-1 exchange visitor visa.

Source of Funding

J-1 Exchange visitor visa status is available to those students who are supported substantially by funding other than personal or family funds. Such funding may include that which comes from the U.S. government or the student’s home government, or an international organization, or the Colleges. Students who are supported by personal or family funds are ineligible for J-1 immigration status and must come to the U.S. to study in F-1 immigration status.

Medical Insurance

Students in J-1 status and their J-2 dependents are required to have comprehensive medical coverage in order to fulfill U.S. government regulations governing the J Exchange Visitor status. Currently the medical insurance offered by Hobart and William Smith Colleges does not cover all requirements for those in J immigration status.

Work Permission

Students in either F-1 or J-1 immigration status may work part time (up to 20 hours per week) on campus with permission from the International Student Advisor For both statuses, permission to work off campus based on economic need may be requested only after the first full academic year of student status, and only under extraordinary circumstances of unforeseen need. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) authorizes F-1 students to work off campus, whereas J-1 students submit an application for work permission to their visa sponsor, i.e. the agency or school that issued the DS-2019 form.

Practical or Academic Training

Students in F-1 and J-1 immigration status are eligible to engage in differing lengths of practical or academic training during their studies and at the completion of their academic programs. Practical training, a privilege of F-1 immigration status if you are eligible, is employment in one's field of study. Those in F-1 immigration classification may be eligible for "curricular" practical training (which is authorized by the International Student Advisor) during their programs, in addition to one year of "optional" practical training that may take place during or after one's program of study. Permission to engage in practical training may be granted only after you have been in valid student status for one academic year, except in a graduate program that requires it from the first term. The International Student Advisor recommends optional practical training and the USCIS authorizes it. Refer to the Practical Training Overview for complete information on both curricular and optional practical training. Academic training, a privilege of J-1 immigration status if you are eligible, is employment which isintegral, not just related, to one's field of study. One is eligible to apply for permission to engage in academic training after one academic term in valid student status. A total of 18 months of academic training is possible during or following completion of a program of study, with the exception of some postdoctoral research positions that may qualify for up to 36 months. An application for academic training is made to the J-1 student's Exchange Visitor program sponsor. Refer to Academic Training Authorization for Those in J-1 Exchange Visitor Immigration Status for complete information.