Explore Careers In The Capitol
Tours of the Secret Service, State Department, Heritage Foundation, Washington Post. Lunch at Bullfeathers with HWS alums. Panels with members from House and Senate offices, the United Nations Foundation, Daimler AG, RAINN.
Each January, the Day on the Hill program takes students inside governmental organizations, non-profits, NGOs and other Washington, D.C. institutions for three days of experiential insight into politics, policy and more. In conjunction with the Office of Career Services, faculty from the political science department select 15 – 20 students to participate in the yearly excursion.
Students attend talks by politicians and alums who work on the Hill, discover what it takes to get a job in the nation's capital, and discuss the day-to-day routine of D.C. life. Students get to meet alums and members of Congress, to tour government and private facilities such as the FBI and Secret Service, and to visit organizations like the Washington Post and the Ripon Society. Additionally, students have a unique opportunity to network with alums and learn about internship and job opportunities.
Past Program Information:
- Students on the Day on the Hill experience in Washington, D.C. pose in front of the Capitol Building. Through an immersive three-day program, students gained insight to the world of politics and policy from the perspective of career professionals and HWS alums.
- Students on the Day on the Hill program visit the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center. The tour was led by Andrew Gelfuso '97, Vice President for Global Business Development.
- Jeremy Horan '07, legislative director for U.S. Senator Mazie K. Hirono; Emmett Hasset '18, intern at Greenberg Quinlan Rosner; Jennifer Cytryn '16, executive assistant to the Senior Advisor for Policy in the White House; and Hannah Cooper '16, staff assistant to Congressman Anthony Brown participate in the panel discuss “Working on the Hill."
- Denzel Singletary ’13, manager of global government relations at eBay; Henry Rubin '13, vice president of The Hawthorn Group L.C.; Jeffrey Werner ’91, vice president of corporate and government affairs at Panasonic USA; and HWS Trustee Edward Cooper ’86, P’16, vice president of public affairs and community relations at Total Wine & More; discuss careers in public affairs.
- Students connect with alums during the Day on the Hill experience at the Cannon House Office Building on Independence Avenue.
- At the Newseum in Washington, D.C., students visit the Berlin Wall Exhibit, which contains the largest section of the Berlin Wall outside of Germany.
- Students participating in the Colleges' annual Day on the Hill program gather for a group photo in front of the U.S. Capitol Building.
- Students speak with North American Campaigner Alli McCracken Jarrar ’10 (center) at Amnesty International.
- Students meet with Operations Advisor Jessica Teicher Teickenson ’04 and Senior Futures Advisor Dr. Stephen Gale ’69 at U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID).
- Students gather in front of the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington, D.C.