Guidelines for Bringing a Computer to Campus
HWS has a partnership with preferred vendors to offer some configurations that meet our recommended configuration. Currently, if you prefer an Apple product, more information is available. For questions about suitable PCs, please contact the Help Desk for guidance.
Suggested Academic Program Configurations
Architectural Studies Recommended Minimum Configuration:
- MacBook (recommended) or PC laptop with a dual-core processor, at least 4 GB RAM, and a 500 GB hard drive
- Suggested additional software: Adobe Suite (specifically Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign)
Software may be purchased from https://hws.onthehub.com at an educational discount. Contact the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 315-781-4357.
It is our expectation that if you bring a computer to campus, you are responsible for:
- Reading and understanding all manuals provided by the manufacturer
- Performing a basic computer setup
- Providing all system restoration media and keeping them in a safe place
- Meeting minimum campus standards for connection to our network (see below)
- Running an up-to-date anti-virus application on your computer
(The following products are available at no cost: Windows 7 – Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows 8 – Windows Defender, Mac OS/X – Sophos Home Edition Anti-Virus)
- Connecting personal printers via USB cable, not via Wi-Fi or wired Network as they can degrade our Wi-Fi network performance for all users
- Not installing wireless routers – they are not permitted on campus as they degrade our Wi-Fi network
Network setup (instructions are available).
If you are unsuccessful and meet the above criteria, you can bring your computer to the Help Desk and a technician will evaluate and fix the problem.
If it is a hardware-related problem, you are responsible for all repairs.
Recommended Accidental Damage Protection
3 or 4 year parts and labor
Recommended Software Configuration
Windows 7 or Windows 8
Apple Macintosh OS 10.8 or later
Microsoft Office 2013 (PC) or Microsoft Office 2011 (Apple)
(Microsoft Office is available for sale at the Help Desk.)
A list of prices for various software and other IT services is available.
For information regarding student computer requirements or recommendations at HWS please contact the Help Desk at email@example.com.