Student Information

International Students

F-1 and J-1 students are eligible to work on-campus while actively enrolled in classes. To comply with student visa guidelines the student employment position must be related to your field of study. You must maintain valid F-1 or J-1 status while engaging in on-campus employment.


  • You must be registered in a full course load during the academic year.
  • In accordance with visa guidelines, you may work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week on-campus during the academic year.
  • You may work full-time on-campus during vacation periods.
  • You may engage in 'on-campus employment' while completing the requirements for your degree.

Where can international students work?
International students with an F-1 visa may only hold jobs on-campus, according to federal law. They may not hold any job off-campus. Students on a J-1 visa must receive special permission to work on-campus and should contact Amy Teel, Programs Operations Manager, in the Center for Global Education for approval to work.

What documents do international students need to work?
Once hired, international students will need to complete the federal Employment Eligibility Form (I-9). The I-9 form requires that students display original forms of identification, including the I-94, the I-20 and a passport. In addition, the student should visit the Business Office to complete documentation for Tax Treaty benefits.  Appointments can be made by contacting Elaine Ferrara, Associate Controller, at

What are tax treaty benefits?
A tax treaty is an agreement between two governments under which each country agrees to reduce or exempt an individual from federal income tax withholding on his scholarship /fellowship grants and/or compensation payments. A tax treaty is an attempt to avoid double taxation of income. Not all countries have tax treaties with the US, but students should visit the Business Office for appropriate consultation.

Do I need a Social Security Card to work?
Once you provide documents that verify your eligibility to work in the U.S., then you are able to begin your student employment position. You may begin working without a Social Security Card, but you will need to obtain one before the end of the fall semester to comply with U.S. tax law.

How do I obtain a Social Security Card?
The Federal Government now requires that a student have proof of employment before they may obtain their card.  Once the campus department completes the hiring, the student must obtain a letter of support from the Office of International Student Affairs, and proof of employment from the Office of Human Resources.  The student must take these two documents to the Social Security Office in downtown Geneva to apply for their card.  Please contact David Gage, Director of International Student Affairs, for assistance with this process, if desired.

Some important contacts:

Sara Day, Payroll Manager, Business Office
Contact Sara with any questions about timesheets, paychecks, or direct deposit.

Elaine Ferrara, Associate Controller, Business Office
Contact Elaine to discuss tax matters and complete any necessary tax paperwork.

David Gage, Director of International Student Affairs
F-1 students should contact David with any questions related to working and their visa status.  International students should also contact David for assistance applying for a Social Security Number.

Jennifer Hughes, Human Resources Administrator
Contact Jennifer to complete the I-9, obtain proof of employment for the Social Security Administration Office, help with job searches or any other matters regarding student employment.

Amy Teel, Programs Operations Manager, Center for Global Education
J-1 students should contact Amy to obtain approval to work and with any questions regarding their visa status.


Preparing Students to Lead Lives of Consequence.