Welcome to Student Employment at HWS!

Plan to work while attending HWS? READ THIS NOW!


If you plan to work at HWS (and most students do work at some point) you must prove your identity and your eligibility to work in the United States by completing an I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form in the Office of Human Resources.

This is a federal law required by the Department of Homeland Security for all new employees, including students (undergraduate and graduate student), citizens and non-citizens.

The I-9 form is completed after you are hired, but before you start working.

Documentation that proves your identity and employment eligibility typically consists of EITHER a U.S. Passport, OR a driver's license or student ID card AND a social security card or birth certificate.

If you do not have these documents available, refer to the full list of accepted documents for other options.

All documents must be originals, copies cannot be accepted. 

If your documentation is acceptable you complete Section 1 of the I-9 form and the HWS HR staff member verifies/notes your documentation, and signs the form.   You can then start working.

You should only have to complete the I-9 form once while a continuing student at HWS.

Foreign national students with a visa status other than F1 must verify employment eligibility and complete the I-9 form.


HWS does not place students in jobs. Students conduct their own job search to identify opportunities that best fit their interests, skills, and class schedules.

Jobs on campus are listed through Human Resources:

HWS Student Job Opportunities - Updated 07/11/16

Jobs and internships outside of HWS are advertised through Career Services.

Payroll Forms

I-9 List of Eligible Documents (PDF)
This list provides the approved documents that may be used to complete the I-9 form.

W-4 Form (Federal Tax) (PDF)
This form is the US Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate - it is the federal tax withholding document.

Student Hourly Timesheet (PDF)
For all non-benefits, hourly-paid HWS student employees.


As soon as you're hired, be sure to sign up for HWS's Direct Deposit service! Direct Deposit assures that your paycheck goes into a bank account of your choice, which allows you ready access to your money. Direct Deposit also prevents the pain and agony of replacing a lost or misplaced check, or having to trudge through a blinding snowstorm on payday to pick up your check!

To add, change, or cancel your direct deposit log-in to PeopleSoft Self-Service. Step by step instructions can be found in the Direct Deposit Guide. You may have two direct deposit designations at one time.

If you have any questions regarding Direct Deposit, please call Payroll at 315-781-3342

Workers Compensation Forms

Accident Report Form
This form is used to report accidents that occur on the job. This form is used to report accidents that occur on campus property. Please complete and send to Tabatha Spinner in Human Resources as soon as possible following the work related injury/illness.




Must Be Completed by Supervisors in Order to Hire Students:


Other Supervisor Resources:


If you have problems completing, printing or viewing any of these forms, please contact the Office of Human Resources at ext. 3312.



Hobart and William Smith Colleges,
Geneva, NY 14456
(315) 781-3000

Contact the Colleges


Offices and Resources
Campus Directory

make a gift

Preparing Students to Lead Lives of Consequence.