Policy: Equipment Loan
This Supporting Policy applies to all Hobart and William Smith ("HWS" or the "Colleges") community members and Users, as defined in the Colleges' Responsible and Acceptable Use of Electronic Resources Policy ("Acceptable Use Policy"), that are issued credentials (i.e. username and password) to access the Colleges network, technology infrastructure, or Electronic Resources as defined in the Colleges' Acceptable Use Policy. This Supporting Policy is intended to supplement the Acceptable Use Policy. Defined terms within this Supporting Policy have the same meaning as their definition in the Acceptable Use Policy.
Purpose and Need
This Supporting Policy outlines borrowing of the equipment from the Help Desk.
The Help Desk has video equipment for loan to faculty, staff and students. This includes equipment such as video cameras, tripods, external drives, digital cameras, clickers, headphone/mic, iPods.
Equipment is limited in supply and intended to support HWS activities. As per the Acceptable Use Policy, it may not be used for personal or commercial purposes. In all instances of requests, loaning is prioritized first to curricular activities. Equipment is in high demand so we require that borrowers return items on time as late returns impact others, often imposing upon someone else's reservation for a class assignment.
Specifications and Guidelines
All Users must adhere to the following items when connecting to the campus network. Explicit written consent from Information Technology Services is needed to grant exceptions to these specifications and guidelines.
- Equipment loan requests should be made at least 7 days in advance.
- Equipment can be signed out for a maximum of 3 days unless other arrangements are made in advance and must be returned on or before the agreed upon due date.
- A signed loan agreement is required to check out equipment.
- Current and valid HWS ID must be presented at time of pick up.
- Renewal of loan may be made for an additional 3 days.
- Equipment must be returned in the condition it was borrowed.
- Replacement and repairs are the responsibility of the borrower.
Equipment which is lost, damaged, or excessively late will result in the borrower being responsible for the full replacement cost of the borrowed item(s). Replacement and/or repairs will be the sole responsibility of the borrower.
There are no exceptions to this Supporting Policy.
Loan Agreement (PDF)
Help Desk: Hours and Location
For any additional information, visit the IT Services Web site at www.hws.edu/itservices.