Service Catalog: E-mail Listserv
Summary (what you get):
E-mail Listserv lists are a mechanism to distribute information amongst a group of users via e-mail. Lists are highly configurable by the requestor, who takes on the role of “List Manager”. Unlike some other e-mail distribution options, recipients of the list may be users within the HWS community (i.e. email@example.com) or generic Internet users (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org).
List managers can either manage all membership requests or allow users to self-subscribe. There are two major types of e-mail lists:
- Announcement Lists (one-way communication)
Only the list owner or a small group of users may send messages to the e-mail list. Users subscribed to the list may receive, but not send, messages.
- Discussion Lists (two-way communication)
Any user who is subscribed to the list may receive and send messages to the list. Non-subscribed users are treated in one of two ways:
- Only subscribers may submit messages to the list and users who are not on the list may not post messages to the list
- Anyone may submit posts to the list, including non-subscribed, external users
- An e-mail address in the form email@example.com which distributes messages to list members
- A Web-based administration tool allows a list manager to change membership and list properties
When Customer Receives It:
An e-mail Listserv can be requested at any time from the Help Desk by submitting a service request. A request is typically completed within one week depending on the nature of the list.
E-mail lists are one solution to send messages to a group of people through one e-mail address. Information may be shared amongst a group in other ways as well. See also: Public Folders, HWS E-mail Distribution List, and New User Account.
Where/how to request this service:
A user electing to take on the role of list manager would submit a request through the Help Desk at (315) 781-4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information in your request:
- The desired list name
- The e-mail address of the user who would be "List Manager"
- The Type of list - "Announcement" or "Discussion"
- If the list is a "Discussion" list, who should be able to post messages - list subscribers only, or anyone?
- Can anyone subscribe to the list, or should they only be added by the list manager?
- Any members you would like pre-populated in the list
Requests for this service may be made at the Help Desk in the library, by e-mailing email@example.com or the online request form.
If you are having difficulty or you have unanswered questions, please submit a request, call the Help Desk at (315) 781-4357, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.