Procedures for Giving Securities to Hobart and William Smith Colleges

These instructions are used exclusively for the transfer of U.S. stocks, bonds, mutual funds, foreign stocks, or physical certificates* to Hobart and William Smith Colleges.

1. Contact Wendy Barnhart, Assistant Director of Advancement Services, at (315) 781-3725 or email Please give her the following information:

  • The name(s) of the securities you wish to give
  • Approximate number of shares (or approximate value)
  • Designation of gift
  • And the name, address, and phone number of your broker, or investment representative

2. Let your investment representative know you wish to make a gift to Hobart and William Smith Colleges. Give them the following information about the Colleges’ account:

  • Broker: Edward D. Jones & Co.
  • Account Name: FBO – Hobart & William Smith Colleges
  • Account #: 621-03058-1-6
  • DTC#: 0057
  • Contact: Holly Fowler (315-781-1157 or 800-810-1250)

Upon receipt, the Colleges will send you an acknowledgement letter indicating the date of your gift as well as the value we assigned to your gift, computed by taking the mean of the high and low prices of the stock on the date of transfer. Please consult with your tax advisor regarding the value of your gift for income tax deduction purposes.


Please note some mutual funds, foreign stocks, or physical certificates may result in processing delays.


Make a Gift

If you have any questions about giving to the Colleges, or to give to a special designation, please contact Wendy Barnhart at (315) 781-3725 or

Preparing Students to Lead Lives of Consequence.