APPLYING FOR FIRST-YEAR STUDENT FINANCIAL AID
Hobart and William Smith Colleges is committed to a policy of admitting students on the basis of overall potential and to working with our students and families to ensure they are able to reach their educational goals.
HWS requires all students who wish to apply for financial aid to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). In addition, prospective students who wish to apply for institutional need-based grant aid must file the CSS PROFILE application. Applications must be submitted by the deadlines indicated:
Step 1: CSS Financial Aid Profile
Complete the CSS/Financial Aid Profile using estimated/actual 2015 income and tax information by November 15 for Early Decision I candidates; January 15 for Early Decision II candidates; and February 1 for all other applicants. The Hobart and William Smith college code is 2294.
Instructions for the Noncustodial PROFILE (NCP) will be sent to all applicants whose natural parents are divorced or separated. The noncustodial parent will be directed to complete this additional form online after the CSS/Financial Aid Profile application is submitted. The NCP must be completed by the CSS Profile deadlines indicated above.
Step 2: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Prior to completing the FAFSA, both student and parent should first create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. Your FSA ID will be a permanent identifier for future FAFSA filing and to electronically sign legally binding documents. The FAFSA may then be completed online using estimated/actual 2015 income and tax information after January 1 but no later than February 1. The Hobart and William Smith federal school code is 002731.
New York State (NYS) TAP Application
NYS residents with a New York State net taxable family income of $80,000 or less may qualify for a Tuition Assistance Program grant ranging from $500 - $$5,165. All NYS residents listing a NYS school on the FAFSA have two ways to apply for TAP.
- If you file your FAFSA on the web you will be prompted to complete your TAP application online at the same time. We encourage you to do so to expedite the entire application process. OR
- If you file the FAFSA electronically and forget to complete the TAP portion, you must go online at a later date to complete your application.
An estimate of your TAP eligibility will be included in the offer of financial assistance from Hobart and William Smith Colleges. NYS HESC will send a copy of the award certificate via email, if an email address is provided, once the NYS budget is passed for the following year.
If you have any questions regarding the financial aid process, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at:
- Phone: (315) 781-3315
- Fax: (315) 781-4048
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates and Deadlines
- CSS/Financial Aid Profile online registration begins
- Trustee, Arts and Blackwell scholarship applications due for ED1 candidates
- Early Decision I applications due
- CSS/Financial Aid Profile for Early Decision I applicants due
- Notification of admission decision mailed to Early Decision I applicants
- Notification of financial aid award mailed to Early Decision I admitted students
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online filing begins
- Early Decision I admitted students enrollment deadline
- CSS/Financial Aid Profile for Early Decision II applicants due
- Early Decision II applications due. Students who have applied under the Regular Decision plan (and whose applications are complete) can change their application status to EDII until February 15.
- Applications due for Arts Scholars program
- Applications due for Trustee and Blackwell Scholars programs
- Regular Decision applications due
- Notification of admission decision mailed to Early Decision II applicants
- Notification of financial aid award mailed to Early Decision II admitted students
- Filing deadline for Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Filing deadline for CSS/Financial Aid Profile
- Early Decision II admitted students enrollment deadline
- Notification of admission decision mailed to Regular Decision applicants
- Notification of financial aid award mailed to Regular Decision admitted students
- Regular Decision admitted students enrollment deadline