WS Deans
WS Deans
WS Deans
WS Deans
WS Deans
WS Deans
WS Deans
WS Deans
WS Deans
WS Deans
WS Deans
WS Deans


Although the deans primarily deal with matters relating to a student’s academic performance and disciplinary record, the deans can also provide support for other needs the student may have.

Transitional Issues

Adjusting to life as a college student can be challenging and stressful. A new student or student returning from a term abroad may wish to speak with a dean concerning her transition to campus life. Her dean can assist with personal adjustment, meeting new academics demands, creating a new home or cultural re-entry.

Academic Advising

The deans supplement support provided by a student’s faculty adviser. Any student may schedule an appointment with her dean to consult about her academic program.

Typical topics of discussion include: graduation requirements, assistance in designing an individual major, study abroad planning, transfer credit, internships, planning for dual majors, graduate or professional school, accelerating a program of study, and making up for failed courses.

Students are encouraged to use their dean as a sounding board as they think through academic and personal goals and how best to realize them.

Academic Support

Students may request assistance with time management, study skills, academic planning, note taking, and other skills that may improve their academic achievement.

The deans also assist students who are concerned about their progress in a particular course or who need advice about the best way to approach a faculty member about a problem.

Students who are placed on academic probation are required to meet weekly with their dean.

The deans can also help students identify additional campus services, such as the Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) or the Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP).

Awards and Recommendations

The deans nominate students who have attained notable achievements in or out of the classroom for institutional, local, and national awards and scholarships as these opportunities arise. William Smith students may ask their dean for letters of recommendation for summer employment, graduate or professional schools, and special HWS programs.

Special Requests

A dean must be consulted about taking a voluntary withdrawal from a class, requesting an authorized withdrawal or requesting a temporary (no more than two semesters) leave of absence from the College.

Final Examination Rescheduling

Only a dean may excuse a student from her scheduled final exam or paper. Please note that a final exam may be rescheduled ONLY in the event that a student has three exams scheduled on the same day, a scheduled examination conflict, or an emergency. Family vacations or other personal scheduling conflicts do not qualify for an excused absence.

Emergency Loans

The office offers emergency loans to students who are in need of immediate cash on a short-term basis. The student should speak with Gretchen DeWall, who will determine whether an emergency exists, the amount to be loaned (up to $100) and a schedule for repayment. Loans have been granted to students needing funds for medical attention or prescription drugs, unexpected travel due to a family emergency, and similar matters.


Course Approval for Transfer Credit
Courses that are to be taken in transfer toward degree requirements must have prior approval for the student’s dean, and, as appropriate, the department, program, or Individual Majors Committee. Only courses passed satisfactorily, with a grade of C- (1.7) or better, are accepted for transfer credit. Course credits may be transferred but grades for those classes are never entered on a Hobart and William Smith transcript and are not calculated into a student’s GPA. Grades of transferred courses therefore have no impact on the student’s GPA at the Colleges. If you are hoping to use the course toward a major or minor, or as a course equivalent, you need the Department Chair’s signature. If you are hoping to use the course toward fulfilling a goal, you need approval from your adviser.

Please send an email to your dean with the following information: name of the school, number of credits, meeting time of the course, title and description of the course, and the course syllabus. You should get approval for transfer credit before enrolling in the course.

Petition for Authorized Withdrawal
Withdrawals from any course(s) are considered by the Committee on Standards (COS) at any point in the semester prior to the submission of a course grade by the course instructor. Such withdrawals are granted only under documented exceptional circumstances which are beyond student’s control, e.g. medical.

Please make an appointment with your dean to discuss transfer credits.

Petition for Retroactive Authorized Withdrawal
Subsequent to the submission of the final grade, a grade may be changed to a withdrawal, in very extraordinary circumstances, by the Committee on Standards, acting in consultation with the student’s instructor, adviser, and dean. Approved withdrawals will be communicated immediately to the student’s adviser and instructor.

Please make an appointment with your dean to discuss a retroactive authorized withdrawal.

Submission for Course Equivalent
A course equivalent is an alternative form of educational activity which, with the approval of your faculty adviser and the Committee on Standards, may be substituted for one academic course to fulfill the normal requirement of taking four courses per semester.

Please make an appointment with your dean to discuss the options of course equivalents.

Returning from a Medical Leave of Absence
When you feel you are ready to turn, please refer to your original letter for the steps you must take.

Credit Bearing Internship (INT 199) Registration Approval Form

Change of Grading Option - Form A (For First Years, Sophomores and Juniors Spring 2020)

Change of Grading Option - Form B (For Seniors in Spring 2020)

Graduate Attendee Registration Form

Individual Major Proposal

Non-Matriculated Student Application Form

Petition for Extension of Time on Incomplete Course Work

Registration Add/Drop Form

Student Academic Travel Support Application


Preparing Students to Lead Lives of Consequence.