HWS Dance majors have gone on to pursue careers as dance movement therapists, dance educators, physical therapists, athletic trainers, personal fitness instructors, somatic therapists, professional dancers, choreographers, Pilates instructors and Yoga practitioners. Some of our graduates have even started their own dance studios and companies.
In addition to their professional careers, many of our graduates go on to earn M.Ed., M.F.A. and D.M.T. degrees from top-ranked graduate schools across the country.
Here's a sampling of what some of our alumnae and alumni are doing now:
Dance Performance & Choreography
- Chevon Steward '04 has performed with Urban Bush Women’s apprentice program, Arthur Aviles Typical Dance Theater, Keila Cordova Dances and Richard Rivera. She is currently a proud member of INSPIRIT, a dance company and Baraka De Soliel’s D Underbelly.
- Amanda Herman '03 (MFA), is an accomplished professional dancer and choreographer. She is a certified DanceAbility instructor, has presented at international conferences and was published in the Journal of Dance Medicine and Science.
- Olive Prince '99 (MFA), is a professional dancer and choreographer as well as an adjunt professor at Temple University, where she completed her M.F.A. in Dance.
- Sharna Fabiano '97 joined the internationally acclaimed TangoMujer Dance Company, a group of all-women tango dancers in NYC. In 2006, she established Sharna Fabiano Tango Company in DC. She is featured in Dance Magazine’s upcoming “25 to Watch” list for January 2008. Her own written articles on the depth and mystique of social tango have been widely read and translated into several languages.
- Ellen Stokes Shadle '91 has her own dance company, ellen stokes shadle/DanceWorks.
- Anna Dodge '07 (MA), completed her masters thesis on methods of teaching body alignment in ballet at New York University. She plans to teach dance in higher education.
- Colleen Wahl '06 (CLMA), is a somatics practioner who has opened her own studio, Move Into Greatness, in New York City. She is a Ph.D. candidate in Somatics Psychology.
- Emily Lutin '05 is a professional dancer and choreographer. She also founded Movementality, where she teaches yoga and dance to all ages.
- Erin Law '03 (CLMA), has been an Artist-in-Residency for Berea College, Eastern Tennesee State University and University of Virginia. She is the Dance Program Coordinator at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Ten.
- Susan Rainey '02 has performed professionally throughout New York City, Boston and upstate New York. She teaches Dance and Creative Movement at a public school in Queens.
- Maura Keefe '85 (MFA, PhD), is a dance writer, historian and choreographer. She is a Scholar-in-Residence at Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival and an associate professor of dance at SUNY Brockport. She has an MFA in choreography and performance from Smith College and a PhD in dance history and theory from the University of California, Riverside.
Other Dance Related Opportunities
- Lisa Nelson '05 (JD), is a trial lawyer in Rhode Island. Her dance experience and love of performing inspired her to get involved with litigation because it required a degree of "stage presense." In addition to her work in the courtroom, she is coaching trial teams in high schools.
- Joshua Warr '05 completed a two-year acting conservatory program at the Maggie Flanigan Studio in NYC. He played Nick in Bill Russell's "Elegies for Angels, Punks and Raging Queens" and is currently working with Susan Streater on auditioning her choreography for a Broadway show.
- Susanna Kim Christians '99 acted as assistant producer for Move the Frame, a cable access program that focused on dance films and as a screener for the 2006 Dance on Camera Festival at Lincoln Center.
- Jeanne Schickler Compisi '96 (MFA), danced professionally in NYC until 2005. She received her M.F.A. in Dance from NYU's Tisch School of the Arts and her Pilates certification through the Kane School of Core Integration. She has since opened her own Pilates studio, Pilates of Rochester.
- Cindy Getchonis '89 created an individual major, The Body Mind Synthesis, a basis in Holistic Health Theory. She attended the Boulder School of Massage and completed certifications in The Trager Approach and Aston-Patterning. She is currently an instructor at the Finger Lakes School of Massage.