DEPARTURE UPON COMPLETION OF STUDIES
You are required to notify the DSO/International Student Advisor either in person or in writing of completion of your studies or practical training and of the date of your final departure from the United States. Please leave an address with the International Student Advisor/DSO so that you can be contacted if necessary.
If you intend to leave Hobart and William Smith Colleges but plan to remain in the United States to study at another school, please notify the DSO/International Student Advisor of your intention. According to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations, the Colleges must “transfer” your record in SEVIS to your new school. This transfer must be completed within 60 days of the Colleges program completion date.
- Immigration Basics, Definitions and Terms
- Difference Between F-1 and J-1 Status
- F-1 Curricular Practical Training Request Form (PDF)
- Maintaining Department of Homeland Security Status
- Duration of Status for F-1 Students
- Temporary Departure from the U.S.
- Exceptions to a Full Course of Study
- Accepting U.S. Government Assistance or Public Benefits
- Departure Upon Completion of Studies