HWS Debate Team
The HWS Debate Team is dedicated to promoting debate at the highest level. We promote a culture of excellence, of critical thought and of strong teamwork. Our members are confident public speakers who continually hone their analytic and rhetorical skills to master the art of persuasion.
9/22-9/24 - Season Opener @ University of Rochester
9/29-10/1 - HWS North American University Debating Championship
10/6-10/8 - Hart House (Toronto) Invitational
11/3-11/5 - Yale Inter-Varsity
12/1-12/3 - Brandeis Inter-Varsity
2/27-1/4 - World University Debating Championships @ Mexico City
1/19-1/21 - CUSID/APDA North American Debating Championships
3/30-4/1 - Colgate Open
4/6-4/7 - 2018 HWS Round Robin
4/13-4/16 - US Universities Debating Championships
- Won the 2017 US Eastern Regional Novice Championship
- Advanced to the octo-finals of the 2016 US National Championship
- Advanced to the finals of the 2016 Colgate Open
- Won the 2016 Cornell IV
- Won the 2015 Brad Smith Debate Tournament @ University of Rochester
- Advanced to finals of Queens in 2015
- Gerald "Buzz" Klinger '12 won Queens in 2014
- Advanced to finals of Ottawa in 2014
- Advanced to the finals of the 2013 Colgate Open
- Advanced to the semi-finals of the 2013 US National Championships
- Won the 2012 US National Championships
- Advanced to the elimination rounds of the 2012 World Championships
- Ranked 21st out of 396 teams at the 2012 World Championships
- 2012 Northeast Regional Champions
- 2011 Hart House IV Semifinals
- 2011 Yale IV Semifinals & 4th best speaker
- 2009 Northeast Regional Champions
THE INTERNATIONAL ROUND ROBIN @ HWS
- Each April, HWS hosts an international tournament of champions.
- Our round robin is second only to the World Championships in competitiveness.
- 16 teams and 15 judges from around the world come to HWS to compete and exchange ideas.
- In the last three years, 22 nations have been represented at the HWS Round Robin.
- Internationally renowned speakers give lectures to the debaters.
- World champions regularly come to HWS because of this competition.
- The best debaters in the world compete each year to earn a place at the HWS tournament.
THE FALL CLASSIC
- Each fall, HWS hosts a regional debate tournament.
- The Fall Classic attracts many of the best teams in the Northeastern US and Canada.
- Over 100 debaters and judges participate.
- Members of the HWS Debate Team run the tournament and do most of the judging.
- New HWS debaters may participate as swing teams, if necessary.
Coach: Eric Barnes
Assistant Coach: Steve Penner
President: Haley Giunta '18
VP: Grace Marshall '19
Treasurer and Transport: Ryan Skinner '19
Secretary: Bart Lahiff '20
If you are interested in joining the Debate Team, just come to one of our meetings!
Contact Bart Lahiff to be added to our mailing list.