HWS Debate Team
The HWS Debate Team is dedicated to promoting debate at the highest level. We promote a culture of excellence, of critical thought and of strong teamwork. Our members are confident public speakers who continually hone their analytic and rhetorical skills to master the art of persuasion.
Jan. 25-27, North American Championships
Feb. 2-3, King's University (tentative)
Feb. 8-10, Canadian Women's Tournament (tentative)
Feb. 9-10, Cornell
Feb. 16-17, Adelphi / St. John's (tentative)
Feb. 23-24, Northeast Regional Championships
Mar. 2-3, Ithaca College
Mar. 30-31, Colgate
Apr. 4-6, HWS/IDEA Round Robin
Apr. 12-14, US Nationals
- US NATIONAL CHAMPIONS (Worlds-Style Debate)
— Defeated Yale’s top team in the final round
- Rochester University Invitational — Tournament Champions
- Chancellor’s Cup Invitational — Finalists
- Hart House Invitational — Semi-Finalists (most competitive tournament in Canada)
- Yale Invitational — Semi-Finalists (most competitive tournament in the USA)
- Northeast Regional Champions
- Placed 21st in the World at the World Universities Debating Championships
- ranked above all North American teams other than Harvard, Yale and Stanford
THE INTERNATIONAL ROUND ROBIN @ HWS
- Each April, HWS hosts an international tournament of champions.
- Our round robin is second only to the World Championships in competitiveness.
- 16 teams and 15 judges from around the world come to HWS to compete and exchange ideas.
- In the last three years, 22 nations have been represented at the HWS Round Robin.
- Internationally renowned speakers give lectures to the debaters.
- World champions regularly come to HWS because of this competition.
- The best debaters in the world compete each year to earn a place at the HWS tournament.
THE FALL CLASSIC
- Each fall, HWS hosts a regional debate tournament.
- The Fall Classic attracts many of the best teams in the Northeastern US and Canada.
- Over 100 debaters and judges participate.
- Members of the HWS Debate Team run the tournament and do most of the judging.
- New HWS debaters may participate as swing teams, if necessary.
Coach: Eric Barnes
Anna Dorman (President)
Yiqun 'Ted' Cheng (Director of Round Robin)
Yang 'Lynn' Hu (Treasurer)