Finger Lakes Aquatics Camp
Lifeguarding Instructor (LGI), $500
To train instructor candidates to teach basic level Lifeguarding, Waterfront and Waterpark Lifeguarding and Shallow Water Attendant (all including first aid), Lifeguard Management, CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, Administering Emergency Oxygen, Blood borne Pathogens Training and Basic Water Rescue courses.
- Minimum age of 17.
- Possess a current Lifeguarding certificate or have successfully completed an acceptable Lifeguarding course within the last 4 years (full or review).
- Expand on information from the American Red Cross Fundamentals of Instructor Training (FIT) course to teach the courses and presentations in the Lifeguarding program.
- Demonstrate the characteristics required of an American Red Cross representative and role model.
- Teach courses in a manner that helps participants stay engaged in the learning process.
- Ensure participants’ health and safety during training.
- Demonstrate skills at an appropriate level of performance.
- Maintain complete and accurate records and reports.
- Plan, organize and conduct the courses and presentation in the Lifeguarding program in accordance with the requirements of the specific course or presentation they will be teaching, and evaluate participants.
- Monitor participants’ practice and provide corrective feedback and encouragement consistent with the critical skill performance steps.
A currently authorized American Red Cross Lifeguarding instructor trainer.
- Successfully complete the precourse session.
- Attend and actively participate in all course sessions.
- Successfully complete class activities, including the required practice-teaching assignments.
- Complete the Blood borne Pathogens Training: Preventing Disease Transmission Instructor Self-Study/Pre-Test.
- Score at least 80 percent on the basic-level Administering Emergency Oxygen final written exam.
- Score at least 80 percent on the Lifeguarding Instructor Course final written exam.
Certificate Issued and Validity Period
Lifeguarding Instructor: Authorization is for 2 calendar years. All authorizations expire on December 31 of each year. Initial authorization may be for less or more time depending on when training is completed.