Science on Seneca (SOS)
How to Register for Science on Seneca
Students take notes aboard the William Scandling research vessel.
- Contact Barb Halfman, SOS Coordinator, at (315) 781-3606 or email@example.com to register for one-day teacher training in the spring or fall.
- Set a date for field trip with Barb Halfman.
- Review the Pre-Visit Power Point.
- Contact the Finger Lakes Institute at (315) 781-4390 or firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain additional materials or ideas for your visit to Science on Seneca.
How to apply for Science on Seneca Grants
The criteria for participation in the SOS program is that a middle or high school teacher has been previously trained on the HWS research vessel. Award amounts range between $250-$500 per school and are awarded based on school district needs.
- Contact Barb Halfman, SOS Coordinator, at email@example.com or (315) 781-3606 to register for a one-day teacher training in the spring or fall.
- Set date for field trip with Barb Halfman.
- Contact FLI or visit SOS website to receive the proper SOS grant application form.
- E-mail or fax completed SOS grant application form to firstname.lastname@example.org or (315) 781-4399.
- Once the grant application form is approved by FLI staff, fill out the W-9 Form and email or fax the completed form to the FLI.
- Complete your SOS visit.
- Submit an invoice to the FLI on school district letterhead listing major expense categories and dollar amounts. SoS grants will typically cover transportation costs (e.g., mileage, bus rentals, driver charges), payments for substitutes, and other related categories as previously discussed and approved by the FLI.
- Reimbursement will then occur through the Business Office of Hobart and William Smith Colleges.