Constitution of the ALAA
The name of this association shall be The Afro Latino Alumni and Alumnae Association of Hobart and William Smith Colleges, herein after referred to as ALAA.
The purpose of ALAA shall be to promote the interests of HWS and its Afro Latino Alumni and Alumnae to partner with the president, Board of Trustees, Directors of Alumni and Alumnae Relations, Office of Development, and the Hobart Alumni Association and William Smith College Alumnae Association in order to strengthen relations among the Colleges and alumni and alumnae of color.
All graduates of color of Hobart and William Smith Colleges and all non-graduates of color who have successfully completed at least one year of study at the Colleges and whose class has graduated shall be members of ALAA. In addition, any interested graduate and non-graduate of the Colleges shall also qualify.
- The President shall be the chief executive officer of ALAA and of its Board. He/she shall preside at all meetings of ALAA and shall perform the usual duties pertaining to that office.
- The Vice-President(s) shall have the same duties and powers of the President in the absence of the President.
- The Secretary shall keep the minutes of all association meetings, Board meetings and executive meetings. He/she shall perform such other duties and exercise such other functions as ALAA may from time to time prescribe.
- The Public Relations Officer shall be responsible for promoting and marketing the ALAA name in order to highlight the work of the organization. This person shall contact on campus media and communication personnel, local media, and other community resources to announce and celebrate the accomplishments of the association. The individual holding the position shall also market ALAA events to our constituency. This person will also oversee the ALAA facebook page and website.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for fiscal matters of ALAA. Treasurer shall submit a written semi-annual report to the executive board of ALAA.
- The Directors of Alumni and Alumnae Relations for both Hobart College and William Smith College shall be ex-officio members of ALAA and shall have no vote. He/she should be given appropriate notice of ALAA Board Meetings. He/she shall be a member ex-officio of all committees of the Board.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS
The President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Public Relations Officer shall each be elected for a two-year term in office by the Association as provided in the Constitution and By-Laws.
There shall be at least one general body meeting of ALAA each year.
ALAA LIAISON WITH ALUMNI AND ALUMNAE COUNCILS
A Hobart alumnus who is an ALAA officer shall be the liaison to promote communication the Hobart Alumni Counsel. A William Smith alumna who is an ALAA officer shall be the liaison to promote communication between the William Smith Alumnae Counsel. Both liaisons shall work to promote communication among ALAA, the Counsels and the Colleges.
The ALAA Constitution may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the ALAA Executive Committee who are present at the annual meeting or any special meeting or via conference call provided that written notice of the proposed amendment(s) has been given to each Board Member prior to attending the meeting or conference call. Members are granted three proxy votes per calendar year, a proxy vote may only be granted to another Executive Committee Member. Any Member granting a proxy to another Member must state the date of the vote and name of the Member who the proxy is granted. All proxies must be accompanied by written consent of the Member granting the proxy, written consent may be given by electronic notification. The consent and granting of the proxy must be submitted by the Member granting the proxy to the President, Vice-President or Parliamentarian prior to the vote.