By-Laws of the Afro Latino Alumni and Alumnae Association
The name of this Board shall be "The Afro-Latino Alumni and Alumnae Board of Hobart and William Smith Colleges."
The Alumni and Alumnae Board shall be the executive and administrative arm of ALAA. It shall exercise all the powers of ALAA between the meetings of ALLA which are not specifically reserved to ALAA as outlined in its Constitution.
The Alumni and Alumnae Board shall consist of the following members: the President, Vice-President, Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, Treasurer, Historian, the immediate Past-President and the Members-at-Large, as specified in Article VI of these By-Laws; the members of the Past-Presidents Advisory Board of ALAA, the Directors of Alumni and Alumnae Relations (ex-officio), and the Student Representative (ex-officio).
- The President shall be the chief executive officer of ALAA and of its Board. He/she shall preside at all meetings of ALAA and shall perform the usual duties pertaining to that office.
- The Vice-President(s) shall have the same duties and powers of the President in the absence of the President.
- The Secretary shall keep the minutes of all association meetings, Board meetings and executive meetings. He/she shall perform such other duties and exercise such other functions as ALAA may from time to time prescribe.
- The Public Relations Officer shall be responsible for promoting and marketing the ALAA name in order to highlight the work of the organization. This person shall contact on campus media and communication personnel, local media, and other community resources to announce and celebrate the accomplishments of the association. The individual holding the position shall also market ALAA events to our constituency. This person will also oversee the ALAA facebook page and website.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for fiscal matters of ALAA. Treasurer shall submit a written semi-annual report to the executive board of ALAA.
- The Directors of Alumni and Alumnae Relations for both Hobart College and William Smith College shall be ex-officio members of ALAA and shall have no vote. He/she should be given appropriate notice of ALAA Board Meetings. He/she shall be a member ex-officio of all committees of the Board.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS
The President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Public Relations Officer shall each be elected for a two-year term in office by the Association as provided in the Constitution and By-Laws.
There shall be an Executive Committee of the ALAA Board which shall exercise all powers of the ALAA Board between meetings of the ALAA Board, which are not herein specifically
reserved to the ALAA Board. The Executive Committee shall consist of the President, the Vice-President, the Treasurer, the Secretary, the Corresponding Secretary, Historian, and the immediate Past President, and one or more Members at Large of the ALAA Board. Members at large shall be elected by a majority vote at the ALAA Annual Board meeting or during an election year. The Member at Large shall not exceed ten in number. The Directors of Alumni and Alumnae Relations shall serve as ex officio, non-voting members of the ALAA Board.
The ALAA Board shall meet at least once a year. Special meetings of the ALAA Board may be called at any time and place by the President of the ALAA Board or by the Director of Alumni and Alumnae Relations under instruction of the President of the ALAA Board. Notice of each meeting shall be given in writing to each at least one week prior to the date of meeting. Emergency meetings may be called in which case notification by telephone will be deemed valid. At the meetings of the ALAA Board, 25% of the members shall constitute a quorum.
LIAISON WITH ALUMNAE BOARD
The Vice-President, as Liaison of the ALAA Board shall promote communication between the Alumni and Alumnae Associations of Hobart College and William Smith College. The Vice President shall report to the ALAA Board at each meeting on any actions that were taken by the Alumnae Board of William Smith College and the Alumni and Alumnae Board of Hobart College since the prior ALAA Board meeting.
The Board shall designate local or regional Chapters for the purpose of providing activities for the Alumni and Alumnae located in particular geographic areas. The Executive Committee shall appoint a National Chapter Coordinator who shall be the General Coordinator of all the regional ALAA Chapters. The Directors of Alumni and Alumnae Relations and the Board shall assist the National Chapters Coordinator in coordinating and communication with all of the regional Chapters.
AD HOC COMMITTEES
Ad Hoc committees may be authorized for specific purposes when need has been determined by the President. The President shall appoint a chairperson for each ad hoc committee. The Chairperson shall select as many committee members as are necessary to carry out the stated purpose of the ad hoc committee subject to the approval of the Executive Committee of the Board.
These By-Laws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the ALAA Executive Committee who are present at the annual meeting or any special meeting or via conference call provided that written notice of the proposed amendment(s) has been given to each Board member prior to attending the meeting or conference call. Members are granted three proxy votes per calendar year, a proxy vote may only be granted to another Executive Committee Member. Any Member granting a proxy to another Member must state the date of the vote and name of the Member who the proxy is granted. All proxies must be accompanied by written consent of the Member granting the proxy, written consent may be given by electronic notification. The consent and granting of the proxy must be submitted by the Member granting the proxy to the President, Vice-President or Parliamentarian prior to the vote.