Leonard Lawson L.H.D. '68
Professor Emeritus of International Relations
Leonard Lawson came to the Colleges in 1916 as an associate professor of history and rose to full professor in 1917. In addition to serving as head of the history and politics department, he was also named the Charles Henry Brent L.L.D. '19 Professor of International Relations from 1932 until his retirement 38 years later, in June 1954. His research included major emphasis on current events and their analysis. He founded the International Relations Club, which provided students with an enriched understanding of current events and a strong impetus to an active and useful civic life. He was also responsible for teaching a course titled "War and Peace," which surveyed the underlying causes of armed strife, and was the first course of its kind to prepare students for lives as global citizens.Lawson earned a B.A. from Upsala College and a M.A. and Ph.D. from Columbia University. He also received an honorary degree from HWS in 1968.