ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE
During the early leadership giving phase of the campaign, several important athletics initiatives were completed.
- The Bozzuto Boathouse, named in honor of Charles Bozzuto, father of lead donor Thomas S. Bozzuto ’68, was dedicated in 2003. Home to the Hobart and William Smith championship sailing team, the boathouse includes lockers and meeting space for the team as well as for the Outdoor Recreation Adventure Program.
- Lakefront enhancements, including an upgraded path to the lake, new dock and landscaping, were finished in late 2003.
- The H.J. McCooey Memorial Field received a state-of-the-art AstroTurf 12 surface in the fall of 2000. Featuring a 1,500-seat stadium, the facility was made possible by a lead gift from the family of Herbert J. McCooey Sr.
- Through a bequest by John H. Cozzens ’41, Cozzens Memorial Field was built during the summer of 2001. The full-length natural grass field is home to the Hobart and William Smith soccer teams.
- Dedicated in 2001, the John Topichak ’71 Memorial Team Room is the off-the-field home of the Hobart lacrosse team and features handcrafted wood lockers and a high-tech video system for breaking down film.
- Raleigh-Foley-Kraus Varsity Strength Training Center, located in Bristol Gym, honors the generosity and loyalty of three Hobart legends: Dr. Robert Raleigh '73, Jeremy Foley '74, and James Kraus '74. Dedicated in April 2001, the RFK Center is a state-of-the-art weight room serving all of the Colleges' 400 student-athletes and enhancing the sports medicine staff's rehabilitation capacity.
- Thanks to the generosity of Chip Carver ’81 and Anne DeLaney, the Carver-DeLaney Soccer and Basketball Team Rooms were dedicated in 2005 in honor of Aliceann Wilber, Head Coach of William Smith Soccer, and Susan Bassett, former William Smith Director of Athletics. Featuring beautifully crafted oak lockers, these team rooms are equipped to meet the individual storage needs of the athletes while also serving the teams as a communications hub for reviewing games, training presentations and team meetings.
The James J. Drury Family Athletic Suite, located on the third floor of the Robert A. Bristol ’31 Gymnasium includes the John F. ’68 and Katie Collins Family Digital Editing Room, equipped with digital recording and editing equipment that greatly enhances the analytical and teaching capacities of the coaching staff, and the Stuart S. Piltch ’82 and Sari E. Feldman P’11 Varsity Room, which provides students and staff of Hobart Athletics with a meeting room for study halls, team sessions, and leadership and life skills programs. Dedicated in 2006, this vital renovation project for Hobart Athletics was made possible through the thoughtful leadership of James J. Drury III and Peggy D. Drury P’08, parents of Jim Drury ’08, with the team work of John ’68 and Katie Collins and Stuart S. Piltch ’82 and Sari E. Feldman P’11.
- Located in Bristol Gymnasium and given in honor of Director of Athletics Michael J. Hanna ’68, P’99 by Art Stein ’36 and Dottie Martin, the Martin Athletic Director’s Suite was completed in 2008. Art, a three-year letterman for football and lacrosse, was also a dedicated student and life-long supporter of Hobart Athletics; he was inducted in the Hobart Hall of Fame in 2000.