Phelps Community Center Senior Citizen Program Study
"At the Phelps Community Center there is only one senior program
available. After doing some research, having discussions
with the director, Jessica Calmes, and talking to the
members of the Phelps community, I hope that a program (or
several) can get implemented in the end. Phelps is only a 15-
20 minute drive. It would be great to get more community
involvement from the HWS community, the Geneva community.
- Leslie Hopke, William Smith '10
What are your goals for the project? What do you hope to accomplish?
- I have been brainstorming ideas and seeing what is already available in the community.
- One of things that we've been discussing is a community garden. There's definitely space available for one.
- Hopefully senior luncheons can occur more frequently than the current monthly luncheon that occurs on the third Tuesday of every month. Exceed the typical number of parental orders received.
- Other ideas include implementing exercise classes, dance classes, or other classes that might grab their interest.
- A survey was distributed in the community to see what people would like to see more of and how much they would be willing to pay for it.
What issues do you see having an impact on your research?
"The biggest issue, really, is the money. The elderly have fixed incomes so it really depends
on what kind of grant they can get. This is why the survey is so important because it
would be a waste to have something implemented such as dance classes if no one has any
interest in taking dance classes or if they're unwilling to pay for them. When the results
from the survey come in we'll be able to have a better idea of what a successful program.
- Leslie Hopke
- Cecilia Teye-Ampomah - Campus Child Care Initiative
- Leslie Hopke - Phelps Community Center Senior Citizen Program Study
- Christina Kinnevey - Success for Geneva's Children 2009 Data Booklet
- Emma Daley - Success for Geneva's Children 2009 Data Booklet
- Jacquelyn Sands - American Cancer Society: Daffodil Days Program
- Austin Kana - Green Building Assessment for the City of Geneva
- Sarah Holland - Green Space: Inventory and Proposal in the City of Geneva
- Kayla Shoemaker - Lakefront and Downtown Development
- Casey Marshall - Kindergarten Literacy Initiative Project
- Susan Kridler - Encouraging Bicycling in the City of Geneva, NY