GOLDEN RULES OF INTERNSHIPS
- Keep in contact with people that you intern with.
- Think out your objectives – what do you want to get out of your internship?
- Start early in your search for internships.
- An internship is a long interview.
- Every impression you make will be a lasting one.
- Never let your professional guard down.
- Take initiative.
- Collect as many formal recommendations as possible from internship contacts.
- Collect as many email addresses as possible from internship contacts.
- Request informational interviews with staff at your worksite.
- Dress, speak, and act as the professional culture demands.
- Come early, leave late, and ask for more work.
- Do the “little things”.
- This is not a passive experience.
- Seek out role models.
- Tap into your peers’ networking systems.
- Leave your resume with everyone.
- Ask for an exit interview.
- Try to establish mentors.
The impression you leave behind should be that you are a good communicator (oral and written), you take initiative, you have a positive attitude and that you’re a team player.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR INTERNSHIPS!
- Assess Interests, skills and values
- Explore Career Possibilities
- Career Related Experience
- Connect with Employers